Here is a mixdown of this traverse. Which is called “Electric Blizzard”. Have a listen! 🙂
During this traverse I thought I would spend the most time composing and arranging the track, but it turned out that I allocated more time to finding the sounds and recording take until I felt pleased and exhausted with ideas of how to achieve the feeling and material that I needed for it.
I also assumed that I would use a regular meter for the music, such as 4/4 or 3/4, instead of the more complicated arrangement I happened to create in a flash of inspiration during the arrangement process of the traverse. This required me to spend a lot more time to learn and rehearse the compositions I intended for the music.
I also assumed that I would be able to create three seperate tracks out of one conceptual track, which was not the case since I ended up with only one track which more or less contained all these bits.
What went well?
It was easy to enter a “flow-state” where there was endless of possibilities during the first couple of days recording the synthesizers and drums and piano.
I envisioned the big cinematic and explosive drums beforehand but I didn’t expect to create such a great sound. Instead I was surprised over how the simple technique of using a M/S pair of Sony C100’s and pitching down each hit would create this very cinematic and powerful result. A bit of OTT compression helped to crank up the excitement of the signal, but still a very simple and effective technique.
Finally I really enjoy the piece! It really sounds electric and stormy-like. And you have to struggle to make it through alive haha.
What can be improved?
I think one of the biggest improvements can be found in being more deliberate with how I intend to produce a sound and that its place in the production has a purpose and a meaning. I feel like everything in this piece has its intention, but the way I produced them was “uncontrolled” in a sense, leaving a lot to happenstance and
Also if I intend to work in a very rapid pace then it will be benificial to avoid stuff that is a bit unfamiliar to me. Although, I’m aware that right now I have a lot of room for experimenting and building up knowledge of the stuff that is unfamiliar to me.
Lastly, I think it would be wise to set up a very strict time for editorial purposes. Looking at this recent traverse, I spent a lot more time in the “creative” process than in the “editorial”. And I can see how it would make sense to be more deliberate with that part of production and actually allocate proper time for it.
All my traverses will be found at Bandcamp and eventually on my Spotify profile. 😉 Go check them out!
I also record retrospectives and material to my Youtube-channel, so go visit this link if you want to subscribe to get the latest stuff! 🙂